Thursday, March 24, 2011

Milk Crates



This post was created on March, 26, 2011

My amazing friend Whitney joined me in Cali a couple days after Doug, Sydney, Jack and Evan returned home. I was so thankful for her arrival. I needed her to be able to listen to me when I needed to let out some frustrations and to laugh with me when we thought we had seen it all, but...

In Colombia, even in the largest cities like Cali and Bogota it is common to see traffic of every kind. We have seen bikes, pedestrians, cars, horse or mule driven wagons, men pulling trailers, motorcyles with trailers, Trucks that are more than 40 years old still climb and descending the mountains, brightly colored chivas with more people than 20 clown cars and 3 men hanging on with strong arms and curled toes , motorcycles with entire families on them... But finally we have seen the strangest mode of transportation you can pay for. While with Whitney and the girls at the same park we visited on the City Tour before, my daughter Rosa encouraged her friend Vanessa to pay a man to let her ride a milk crate down a hill on a street in the park. If only I had video to show you of a 8 year old speeding down a steep, winding hill in the park only to stop because she continued straight when the street curves. She came off the road, dropped about 18 inches into the dirt and only scrapped up her hand! Oh the liablity insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment