Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bound for Bogota



We travelled by Avianca airlines to Bogota last night. It was Rosa and Kimberlyn's first plane ride. We have been able to witness many firsts things or at least so infrequent as to still be exciting. They admitted to being afraid of the plane ride, but they have no fears of moving to another country, attending a new school, making new friends and learning a new language. This maybe because until a couple days ago they believed their new school in the USA would have classes in Spanish for them. I wish I could show you the shock on their faces when they learned differently. While we were boarding the plane Kimberly said she was afraid, so I was able to teach her that when we have fears or troubles we ask God to be with us. That with God all things are possible, not easy, but possible. (I may have said that for me to hear). So the plane ride went off smoothly! It certainly helped that Avianca has touch screen video games for kids on the back of every seat!! Kimberly was quite excited to get to try out the bathroom too!
When we interviewed by a television station in Cali a few weeks ago they asked Doug if we would adopt again. I was talking with another mother at the hotel regarding that question while the cameras were on Doug. I told her it would take a couple of miracles for that to happen and that if God’s plan was to adopt again that he should place the desire in Doug’s heart first. I may have seen a miracle today, both Kimberly and Rosa put a candy wrapper in the trash without being told!!!
I believe that we are much safer here in Bogota, especially since we are all about business here. In Cali I asked the hotel owner to accompany me to the bank each time. I met another family there who had been robbed after leaving the bank and another family who had witnessed a robbery. The M.O. seemed to be someone was watching the bank, or possibly an employee, would call a friend who would follow the families back to within a few feet of their hotel and then rob them a gun point. Now I love to have a good story to tell and wild things seem to happen when I travel, but I have avoided any crazy stuff happening here. Even leaving Cali, Enrique our host, took us around the exterior roads as a way to keep our luggage in the back of the truck. That prevented thieves from having the opportunity to grab and go with our bags. Security is high everywhere, even funeral homes have armed guards. All security is armed, but many still carry a revolver while a dress shop has a guard armed with a shotgun! I bet those are great gowns! Colombia is the premier producer of bullet proof clothing, I didn’t see a shop for it here but I think everything is on the web if you’re in the market.
I have told you about the coffee? I just took another drink. Of course its Colombian coffee (haha). I enjoyed a good laugh typing that! It is delicious and always ready, the bouquet is mild without a hint of bitterness! The coffee maker is at least as old as Juan Valdez and I would hate to see its innards, but it has a great flavor! Our’s in Cali broke a few nights ago and Enrique had it rewired and brewing again within 10 minutes. We escaped an emergency!!
Today was a busy day in Bogota. New pictures of the girls for Colombia issued ID cards, then the ID cards, then photos for passports, then passports, a stop for lunch an appointment at ICBF (their human services), and an appointment with the Embassy doctor to get documentation for them to travel to the USA.
We are staying at La Zhuetana in Bogota and all the other families are French. Again the USA invaded! Tonight we were able to celebrate with a family that received their sentencia today and another family that brought home their daughters who are 21 months old, identical twins and precious! The French were very happy to share their California wine with us!!! Then a French mother also asked me if I had a good nanny at home to help with the 5 children. Oh the French, I love their dressing, fries and toast and a nanny sounds good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment